Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sweet Sentimental Wedding for Theresa and Steve at Home!

When Theresa and Steve decided to get married, they contacted me. They wanted a simple meaningful ceremony at their home with their children present. And that is exactly what we did. Marty and I arrived on the wedding day of April 20, 2012 at the couple's home in Durham. They had put up a simple arch with flowers on their deck and the woods behind us were the natural backdrop.
For these "elopement" type weddings I don't get to know the couple very well because they are planned quickly, the ceremonies do not include the story of how they met, fell in love, and decided to marry, and I usually don't meet the couple face to face until the wedding day. But, I usually get a feeling about their relationship just in the way they hold hands and look at each other. It was very obvious to me that Theresa and Steve are very much in love and feel very blessed to have each other in their lives. Their grown-up children who were there felt the same way and were so happy for them.
The wedding was at 6:00 and the sun was setting right in Steve's eyes. We could have shifted around to avoid that but he did not want to change their plans. His eyes were "watering" not just from the sun and I took my hankie and wiped those tears--which kept coming, by the way. I just love it when the groom is emotional and shows it!
They wrote words to say to each other during the ceremony. These words were straight from their hearts and really said it all, much better than I could have said it in their story.
Then they exchanged their vows and we had a blessing and then the pronouncement of marriage. 
Celebrated with a kiss! 
Theresa and Steve, I am honored that you asked me to officiate your wedding. I feel blessed to have been a part of your special day. Go forth in love, peace and joy!